Wednesday 20 November 2013

November 10 - November 16, 2013

Ahhhhhhhhh, Christmas in Paris (a sale of art and crafts by Kindred Spirits) is over with for another year. It's something that I've been a part of for many years, selling my rug hooking and sometimes some handmade brooches on a November weekend. Always fun but yikers it poops you out. 
Look - 7 more brooches.


This is a WWII Victory pin. It was made by Birks (so named on the back) - a well known Canadian company. This would have been worn during the war. Although it's a little pin, it resonates of that time and I always find myself touching it when I'm wearing it.


This is my "poppy" pin. I've made a few of these poppy pins; held on to this one. And of course, wore it on Remembrance Day.

Three of my friends went off on a toot to the Northern states last spring and brought me back a few trinkets. The following 2 brooches are from their forays into a second hand store there. 


A golden oak leaf. Reminds me of pressing leaves and flowers in books. I still come across some when I revisit one of my old books.


Quite the stylish elephant with the tummy "gems". Just imagine the rumblings.


An old high school music pin from the late sixties. Riverdale Collegiate in Toronto had the best vocal music teacher, Mr. Ford, who kept us on our toes, and made those times happily memorable. And this pin was also made by Birks in Toronto.


This brooch reminds me of an Edward Gorey drawing. Check out his work. It's not everyone's cup of tea but in my household we adore him. And I adore this pin - I love presents!


Here's the other ceramic brooch that I picked up at The Candy Cane Bazaar a few weeks back. Such an unusual one with that swirling centre flower surrounded by forget-me-nots. Lovely in every way.

1 comment:

  1. I've been away and finally caught up with the brooches. Love your seasonal and brooch specific comments. My favourite from the last 3 posts is that cat peering through the foliage (would make a great rug).
    Carol

    ReplyDelete