Thursday 12 December 2013

December 1 - December 7, 2013

It always takes me by surprise when December rolls around. It's been a full year since last December, I think I have lots of time to do all that Christmasy stuff, like writing those Christmas cards so they arrive before Dec 25th, baking a Scottish Dundee cake (one of the best fruitcakes) in time to soak it in brandy......, but alas, behind as usual. But, no need to get my knickers in a knot - it's Christmas time, being with family and friends is what it's all about and I hear the bakery downtown makes a nummy fruitcake.

Nestled among my Christmas brooches was this little pin. It's from my high school days when we went to Expo '67 in Montreal on a school trip. J'aime la belle province et poutine.

At the One of a Kind show in Toronto this year I was on the prowl for a brooch. Necklaces, earrings, bracelets galore but just a smidgen of brooches did I find. And then I spied those nesting Russian wooden dolls, and joy of joy, this lovely troika brooch. Google troika. When I was "studying" photography at Ryerson in Toronto ( as an aside - One of my teachers there thought the school should attach a plaque with my name on it to the back of a chair in the student lounge where you could find me drinking copious amounts of bad coffee with my friends, as he found me there often), I frequented the Gerald Street Village off Yonge St. There was this Russian store called Troika where I would buy my cologne - unique fragrances in beautiful and fanciful glass bottles. My favourite cologne was "Wee Star" (that's the translation) - I still have the bottle, I've kept them all but I would love to have that scent again. It was perfect.

Do you know who this is?  Back in the seventies, a travelling friend was in China, doing a photographic job. On the street, he traded some Canadian pins for a couple of Mao Tse-tung pins. It's like wearing a little bit of history. Cool!

This brooch graces my fall jacket. I bought it at the same time as the big brooch that I wear on my blue jean jacket, and one on a spring coat. Every week I would get off the street car at King and Yonge in Toronto, walk up to Simpsons and stare at these brooches. Finally, finally, finally they went on sale - happy days. 

Immediately fell in love with this brooch at the funky Renaissance antique store (long gone) in Toronto. I gave none-too-subtle hints to my then boyfriend (now husband). Described it at great length to him, looked forlorn, and he kindly bought it for me. I can be persuasive when need be. This is one of my favourites. I like every bit of it.

Here is the beginning of the Christmas brooch parade. A lovely little wooden angel that my young'un bought for me from Ten Thousand Villages. It says quietly Christmas. Don't worry, the next brooch ain't so quiet.

Ho Ho Ho Holy Moly. I like that Christmas brooches can be fun and silly. I have a friend who likes to give me festive brooches. Four of them are from her. And fun and silly are just a few of her many attributes.


1 comment:

  1. Love the Celtic Cross, I can understand you drooling over that one. You can always soak a purchased cake in Brandy - it magically makes it home-made (you would giggle, I just did a typo and it read "hoe-made")

    ReplyDelete